Artist IV

by kmunnis | February 20th, 2012

Jonathan Gitelson

FOR STARTERS – Gitelston earned a BA in lit and photography from Marlboro College in 1997 and a MFA in photography from Columbia College Chicago in 2004. His work has been exhibited through the US, Europe and Canada. His work is also a part of some permanent collection in museums such as The Museum of Fine Arts Boston and The Museum of Modern Art New York.  Gitelson works with a variety of mediums that include photography, books, video, and digital projects.

Charity Giver

Film Director

His work “Dream Job” was made, in 2003, into a book after it was exhibited as an individual and as a web piece. He came up with this project   while he was looking for employment in the Chicago want-ads. These portraits are the idealized version of what sort of person he imagined replying to the ads. I find this work intriguing because it art based on Gitelston’s imagination and concepts based on text which we saw previously with Jenny Holzer (who only gave us text). I also feel like they’re utilizing the viewer’s predisposition to group and stereotype, and in that way many of the photos are humorous, or alternatively, can cause a bit of internal embarrassment.

One Response to “Artist IV”

1. kmunnis says:

Sure you can! And sorry this is late, it’s been a while since I’ve updated this blog.

Archive

February 2012
S M T W T F S
« Jan   Mar »
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
26272829  

Artists

Classmates

Things I Like

Useful Links

Tags